freebsd and MS Active Directory

Andy Firman andy at firman.us
Fri Oct 22 12:31:36 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 01:04:11PM -0600, Danny MacMillan wrote:

> It seems unlikely to me that that's what they meant.  I really would
> ask for more information.  Maybe they want their FreeBSD administrators
> to authenticate against AD accounts?
>
> If you do set up a testbed Active Directory, I would advise you to set
> up MS DNS first, as I've had what can most charitably be called
> "problems" when letting Active Directory set up DNS automagically.

I am in a similar situation and I have very little experience with AD.
Just yesterday I setup a test bed Win2K/Exchange2K with AD.
It is so hard to get around in Windows as I am used to command line.  Ugh.

Are there any good howto's out there for us FreeBSD folk that need
to integrate into Windows AD?

I have googled and am learning the ldap client tools like ldapsearch
and also am going to install auth_ldap on my Apache servers.

But I would like a good overview coming from a FreeBSD/Unix perspective??

Thanks,
Andy