FreeBSD 4.10 not finding 3ware controllers

pete wright nomadlogic at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 08:22:59 PDT 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:55:12 -0700, Benson Wong <tummytech at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got a new server with a SuperMicro X6DH8-G motherboard. it's
> basically a dual xeon board with 2  3Ware controllers in it.
>
> The Controllers:
> 8006-2LP
> 8506-4LP
>
> A couple of days ago I installed 4.10 on old Dell 300S PowerEdge
> server, with the same 3ware controllers and the installation went
> flawlessly. However on this machine FreeBSD doesn't can't seem to
> autodetect the controllers.
>
> I'm thinking that 4.10 doesn't have support for the motherboards, but
> I'm not entirely sure. Has anybody else experienced the same thing, or
> have any insight into this? Does this require some kernel tweaks of
> the installation CD?

can you provide a dmesg from the machine you are having problems with.
 i think the list will specifically be interested in the "twe" lines
from the dmesg (i think those controllers use the twe driver not
sure).  Also what chipset is on the mobo, i'm not familiar with it off
the top of my head.  finally, does the BIOS detect the cards?

-p