kernel panics and reboo

Henrik Hudson lists at rhavenn.net
Fri Oct 22 07:00:19 PDT 2004

Morning List-

For the last 5 days or so I've been getting pernel panics, almost like
clockwork at 3:05am with one exception at 6L20am. The message showing up in
the syslogs is:
  panic: pmap_enter: invalid page directory pdir=0x357063, va=0xffc00000

The pdir and va addresses change.  The one crash at 6am didn't have a syslog
entry and had a different console message which I neglected to write down.

I thought perhaps some faulty memory, but this isn't the case as I replaced it
last night and had the same problem. Okay, so I thought cron job..but the
only running is the daily job at 3:01 and newsyslog.  The box has been up for
about 3 months now without a hiccup. It's our SPAM  / MAIL gateway and it
doesn't always recover nicely.

System info:
 FreeBSD 4.10 -REL
 intel Celeron chipset with 1 GB RAM

Open ports:
 SSH (22), Postfix (25), Bind 9.2.3 (53)

It doesn't seem like a hard drive going, but possibly the mobo? I just can't
think of anything else besides hardware failure which would cause that to
just start popping up???

Thanks list.

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson
lists at rhavenn.net

RTFM: Not just an acronym, it's the LAW!