can't upgrade from 5.2-CURRENT (mid summer) to RELENG_5 on i386

Donald J. O'Neill donaldj1066 at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 21 13:54:22 PDT 2004

On Thursday 21 October 2004 03:14 pm, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to upgrade my 5.2-CURRENT from the mid-summer
> timeframe to RELENG_5 on an i386 platform (actually dual opteron
> running i386).
>
> I did a cvsup early this morning and then try and build my kernel
> and get the following:
>
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=HOST-SMP
>
> I am not sure what is not found.  I don't see it looking for a
> file +for .
>
> Anyone seeing the problem, your input is appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Chad

Hi Chad,

Just off the top of my head, it seems to me, from what you've
described, you aren't following the correct procedure. I suggest
following the procedure in /usr/src/UPDATING. What you want is
located towards the end. I fact, I'll quote it here for you:

 To rebuild everything and install it on the current system.
 # Note: sometimes if you are running current you gotta do more than
 # is listed here if you are upgrading from a really old current.

 <make sure you have good level 0 dumps>
 <maybe fix /etc/fstab>    [7]
 make buildworld
 make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
 make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
       [1]
 <reboot in single user>    [3]
 /etc/rc.d/preseedrandom    [10]
 mergemaster -p     [5]
 make installworld
 mergemaster     [4]
 <reboot>

Also, be aware that 5.3 uses some different groups and users, you're
going to have to put your users and passwords back in.

Don

--
Donald J. O'Neill
donaldj1066 at fastmail.fm