mac os X

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Thu Oct 21 07:37:08 PDT 2004

> Is the Darwin project part of the FreeBSD group such as FreeBSD for
> PPC or
> is now a separate entity?
>
> Can the code from Darwin be used back in FreeBSD?

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can field this part.
OpenDarwin is an open source project spun off by apple to allow further
development of the Darwin core of Mac OS X.  Another words, Darwin is
the "UNIX" underlying part of OS X.  Its a different operating system.
Apple uses code from FreeBSD, but its much different.  In fact, parts
of the darwin kernel are written in C++ whereas the FreeBSD kernel is
written in C (at least everything i've looked at so far).  Apple does
not use a FreeBSD kernel, but rather a hacked up kernel from their next
acquisition that they injected with newer NetBSD/FreeBSD code.  (it
contained BSD code before, they simply updated it)  Parts of Darwin are
structured like a *BSD and other parts follow the methodologies of a
Mach kernel design (basically object oriented, using messages).

The biggest thing apple uses from FreeBSD is most of the userland
utilities.  Commands like ps, kill, bsdmake, etc.  (apple defaults to
gnu make now, but bsdmake is still there)

Some of the code can be used from Darwin under the apple open source
license.  For example, the HFS+ file system support code.

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com