Cardbus Atheros 5212 and Dell laptop(s)...

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Wed Oct 20 21:04:57 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 09:33 pm, Eric Schuele wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 October 2004 11:47 am, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> > I'm using the following atheros products successfully:
> >
> > D-Link DWL-G520 (pci in a generic desktop running FreeBSD 5.3RC1)
> > D-Link DWL-G650 (pccard in a Dell Inspiron 8100 running FreeBSD
> > 5.2.1)
>
> I went out a grabbed a DWL-G650.  It needed a little encouragement,
> but not much.  It began _trying_ to associate immediately.. but kept
> flip flopping from b/g/b/g... so I forced it to g and it works fine.
> Not sure what was up with the Blitzz cards.  They have the same
> chipset.
>
> > FYI:  D-Link is displaying the Atheros logo on the retail boxes of
> > its atheros chipset products; which should make purchasing these
> > easier.
> >
> > I use the script below, with a real wep code and different IP
> > addresses, for each of these devices.  Other than setting hostname
> > info in /etc/rc.conf and /etc/hosts, I haven't edited any other
> > network configuration files.
> >
> > (Beware the effects of email wordwrap.)
>
> I have not tried the script yet, but would like to.  I'm still a bit
> new to BSD/*nix....  How does it work?  Its under the rc.d folder so
> it runs automagically right.  Who/what provides the parameter you
> switch on? and under what circumstances would each case get executed?

/snip/

> Thanks for the help!

I put the script under /usr/local/etc/rc.d/.  FreeBSD will attempt to
execute any file in that directory that ends with .sh during bootup and
shutdown.  During bootup, it will execute the file with the argument
"start".  During shutdown, it will execute the file with the argument
"stop".

In the script's current state, ath0 is configured at bootup with a
static IP address.  To use dhcp after bootup, root would have to
execute the following commands:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ath0 stop
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ath0 dyn

The first command would undo the static IP configuration.  The second
command would execute dhclient per the "dyn" section of the script.

If you wanted to use dhcp at bootup, you would have to change "start)"
to something else; and then change "dyn)" to "start)".

Please note that if your using the script for a pccard, the card needs
to be inserted prior to bootup for configuration to occur
automatically.  If not, "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ath0 start" would need to
be executed manually after bootup.

I hope this helps.

Andrew Gould