Another sound question.

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Wed Oct 20 17:16:17 PDT 2004

Björn Lindström wrote:

>Nikolas Britton <freebsd at nbritton.org> writes:
>

>>now put a music cd into your cd player and type in (as root)
>>"cdcontrol play" if you hear something that sounds like music your
>>good to go
>>

>Actually, that's a pretty bad test, since that will use your CD-ROM for
>the sound, rather than the DSP of your sound card. Try to play a PCM
>file or something instead.

Yea kind, The sound card still has to convert the pcm data from the CD
into music and output it to the speakers though, but you are correct in
that it's a bad test because the audio cable on the back of the CD-Rom
drive might not be connected to the sound card and if its not (s)he
might not have digital playback enabled (can FreeBSD even do that?) but
really it came down to the fact that I didn't have time to lookup
another way to test it, late for school remember. I think there is a
better way to test it in the FreeBSD handbook if anyone cares.

LOL, Actually the handbook states the same thing I said:

"If all goes well, you should now have a functioning sound card. If your
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is properly coupled to your sound card, you can
put a CD in the drive and play it with cdcontrol(1)
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=cdcontrol&sektion=1>:
%cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 play 1"

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

I guess another way would be to compile mp3blaster, or what ever your
fav. mp3 player is, from ports and test it with that.