Two faced FreeBSD - or is that two headed?

Vulpes Velox v.velox at vvelox.net
Wed Oct 20 14:33:43 PDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:33:06 -0400
Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD at keyslapper.org> wrote:

> On 10/20/04 08:09 PM, Peter Risdon sat at the `puter and typed:
> > Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > > On 10/20/04 01:40 PM, Michael Clark sat at the `puter and typed:
> > > I dont have the computer here to post the config =(
> >
> > You need two screen sections, two monitor sections and two device
> > sections in the X config file.
> >
> > If it helps, a working example follows:
>
> That helps a ton.  Thank you *very* much.
>
> I'm still curious about my last question though.  I suddenly
> realized I'm not being entirely clear where there's room for
> misinterpretation.
>
> I'm wondering at this point if I should go buy a second physical
> video card to install into my tower.  Not whether I should configure
> in a second card section in the X config.

Depends on the card... I know I can handle three device on my fx5200(2
dsub 15 and 1 svideo), with iirc them all being able to have
seperates screens with out any of them being mirrored, but I would
still say it would be best to check up on the specific model you
have...

I looked at this awhile back, covering dsub15 connectors not D/A DVI
connectors. The problem I ran into was flaky info on this area. I was
wanting to find a card that would run doom3 nicely and run dual
monitor. I found I could easily have gotten a more powerful card than
a fx5200 and dvi to dsub15 converter for the less than the price of a
dual dsub15 fx5200. I got looking into it more and got lots of
conflicting into. I found a massive lack of useful specs on the cards
and chipsets... mainly in the area of what sort of DVI connector they
have on them... wether it is DVI A or D... and wether it was going to
be a mirror of the dsub connector or not. Among the older nvidia
cards, from what I can tell, the DVI connector was generally just a
mirror of the dsub15 connector.

> I'm starting to think I won't, otherwise you'd probably have
> mentioned a card section for each card, right?  So the physical
> hookup will have one monitor plugged into the standard video port,
> and the second plugged into the DVI port via an adaptor.  What
> adaptor would I be using?

See above :/

Looked into that when looking for a nice dual head card for my dual
boot box... I decided it would just be simpler to get a card with two
dsub15 connectors...

>From a lot of googling I did back in july over this, I would not trust
it unless their are either two DVI or dsub15 connectors :/