Booting to CD and the handing off to HD

Gary Aitken garya at dreamchaser.org
Wed Oct 20 10:58:27 PDT 2004

Cristobal,

I may have missed some followups to this thread,
hope this isn't redundant.

If you copy /boot/boot1 to someplace like /root,
chmod 500 to make it executable
and do an
   exec /root/boot1
the system will reboot the hard drive,
eleminating all bios checks for boot sequence
and bypassing the cd boot preference.

I haven't gone through a complete sequence of what you need to make
this work (i.e. burning a cd, etc)
What I have tested is:

Dual boot system with microsoft boot loader,
Windows 2000 on first partition
FreeBSD 5.3b7 on second partition

Boot FreeBSD single user
exec /root/boot1

There may be all sorts of gotchas in this which you will have to
work out, but I think it's a path that might work.

Hope this helps

Gary