Freebsd and performance

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Oct 20 09:59:32 PDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 11:15:57AM +0000, n.v.t n.v.t wrote:

> Know you guys coming close to the 5.3 -stable release alot of users are
> going to upgrade/switch, right, because this is what we have been waiting
> for. What about the performance that 4.X had? Will the performance be equal
> ? Will it be having better performance? Even on low end machines? And
> especially sinds freebsd is becoming more and more ready for desktop use,
> performance is a big issue on desktops.(look at Gnu/Linux for example,
> which I have been using for a very long time know, and all I can remember
> is that almost all of the releases have scheduling/latency issues. When I
> was using 2.2/2.4/2.6 All I have seen where low latency patches. What about
> freebsd?

Benchmarks I've seen show 5.3 performing better than 4.x in many
workloads.  Try it yourself and see if you like it :)

> I have only been reading the bsd section at slashdot so I don't know much
> about the progress you guys are making on the feature release. Is there a
> offical news site for freebsd users? Like openbsd has *deadly.org.

www.freebsd.org :-)

bsdnews.com is also good; slashdot.org is probably the worst possible
news source you could be reading :-)

> What about the compile flags freebsd RC is using compared to 5.3 -stable
> will there be a lot of changes?

No changes.

> What about gnome packages? Will 2.8 make it in 5.3 stable (iso)?

No, the ports tree is already frozen and packages are built.

> If those things are taking a while to be there, does fbsd have any kernel
> patches like linux does to improve desktop performance? For example like:
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

Not that I'm aware of, we like to commit patches that improve
performance instead of leaving them out :-)

Kris