Dell Dimension 2400/Netgear WG311 more info

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Wed Oct 20 06:25:23 PDT 2004

Matt Schwartz wrote:
> I am hoping somebody can help me out.  I have a Dell Dimension 2400 and I
> installed a Netgear WG311 card in it.  It has the Atheros chipset and will
> work with the ath driver.  However, I cannot get it to work.  I am using
> FreeBSD 5.2.1 and I have compiled a kernel adding the following lines:
>
> device ath
>
> device ath_hal

and device wlan?

[...]
> A dmesg statement revealed this:
>
> pci1: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib1
>
> pci1: <simple comms> at device 4.0 (no driver attached)
>
> pci1: <network> at device 5.0 (no driver attached)

Pretty much what you'd expect if you didn't have the device compiled
into your kernel. Or it's not the Atheros chipset...

The WAG311 _does_ have this chipset.

IIRC, the really, really, incredibly annoying thing about the WG311 is
that there is a V2 model, the only type available right now, that has a
Texas Instruments chipset for which there's no support in FreeBSD.

Peter.

--

the circle squared

network systems and software