How to remove a patch from a port?

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at apropo.ro
Wed Oct 20 05:30:47 PDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:45:51 -0700
Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig at spymac.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 October 2004 04:10 am, Ion-Mihai Tetcu
> <itetcu at apropo.ro> wrote:

 [ ... ]

> > > Sorry, let me explain a bit better. Someone posted a patch to
> > > -ports to upgrade xfce4 to the latest version, and I was helping
> > > test it. The patch covered several ports, and it had a few problems
> > > and was updated by the patch author, but I wasn't quite sure how to
> > > back out of it and retest an updated patch without having to cvsup
> > > my ports tree and start over. But like I said, maybe there isn't
> > > some other method I'm missing, and this is the way it's done ...
> >
> > Exactly where did you put this patch ? How did you applied it? it was
> > a patch to the Makefile of the port or a patch for the source of the
> > port ?
>
> It's a patch for the Makefiles of several ports in the xfce4 metaport,
> so as to upgrade to the latest version. I patched it through
> (essentially):
>
> cd /usr/ports && patch -E < /localpath/to/patch

If you don't cvsup "quick" (cvsup -s) you shouldn't need to remove the
Makefile, as cvsup will see the file has been changed; this is not true
if you _add_ a file that is not in the cvs in a port_dir and it's not
guaranteed to work if you use cvsup's -s switch.

Usually when I have to test Makefile patches I:
cp Makefile Makefile.cvs
patch .. < /path/to/patch
cp Makefile Makefile.patched

Which enables me to restore the "official" Makefle or add my own diff's.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"