How to remove a patch from a port?

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Wed Oct 20 04:44:22 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 04:10 am, Ion-Mihai Tetcu
<itetcu at apropo.ro> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:47:03 -0700
> Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig at spymac.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 October 2004 02:41 am, Joshua Tinnin
> > <krinklyfig at spymac.com> wrote:

> > > OK, and thanks by the way, but let's say it's a patch which
> > > involves several ports as part of a metaport, like xcfe4? Someone
> > > else recommended just rm -rf all the affected branches and then
> > > cvsup'ping, which I had been doing, more or less, but it seemed
> > > to me like that was sort of sloppy (but maybe there isn't a
> > > graceful way to do this). I was just wondering if there was
> > > anything that was the equivalent of "unpatch."
> >
> > Sorry, let me explain a bit better. Someone posted a patch to
> > -ports to upgrade xfce4 to the latest version, and I was helping
> > test it. The patch covered several ports, and it had a few problems
> > and was updated by the patch author, but I wasn't quite sure how to
> > back out of it and retest an updated patch without having to cvsup
> > my ports tree and start over. But like I said, maybe there isn't
> > some other method I'm missing, and this is the way it's done ...
>
> Exactly where did you put this patch ? How did you applied it? it was
> a patch to the Makefile of the port or a patch for the source of the
> port ?

It's a patch for the Makefiles of several ports in the xfce4 metaport,
so as to upgrade to the latest version. I patched it through
(essentially):

cd /usr/ports && patch -E < /localpath/to/patch

The author of the patch himself and a couple other people on the list
confirmed that would be fine for this patch, but it applied to several
ports.

- jt