How to remove a patch from a port?

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Wed Oct 20 02:45:34 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 02:41 am, Joshua Tinnin
<krinklyfig at spymac.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 October 2004 11:43 am, Ion-Mihai Tetcu
> <itetcu at apropo.ro> wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:06:55 -0700
> > Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig at spymac.com> wrote:
> > > I'm wondering how to remove a custom patch for a port. I am sort
> > > of new at this, but I've managed to learn how to patch a port and
> > > upgrade it for testing. But I'm not at all sure how to remove
> > > that patch if need be. What I've been doing is removing a chunk
> > > of the ports tree with cd /usr/ports && rm -rf */*portname* and
> > > then cvsup'ping again, but this doesn't seem right or very
> > > efficient. I've read the man page for patch, but the only thing I
> > > can come up with is the reverse option, which I must admit I
> > > don't totally understand. Can anyone explain this in a way that
> > > makes sense?
> >
> > If I understand what you want correctly, all you have to do is to
> > rename the patch from:
> >
> > /usr/ports/cat/your_port/files/patch-you_want_not_applied to
> > something that does not begin with 'patch'.
>
> OK, and thanks by the way, but let's say it's a patch which involves
> several ports as part of a metaport, like xcfe4? Someone else
> recommended just rm -rf all the affected branches and then
> cvsup'ping, which I had been doing, more or less, but it seemed to me
> like that was sort of sloppy (but maybe there isn't a graceful way to
> do this). I was just wondering if there was anything that was the
> equivalent of "unpatch."

Sorry, let me explain a bit better. Someone posted a patch to -ports to
upgrade xfce4 to the latest version, and I was helping test it. The
patch covered several ports, and it had a few problems and was updated
by the patch author, but I wasn't quite sure how to back out of it and
retest an updated patch without having to cvsup my ports tree and start
over. But like I said, maybe there isn't some other method I'm missing,
and this is the way it's done ...

- jt