Problems with flash and native mozilla

R. W. list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Tue Oct 19 09:33:57 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 15:27, Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
> Martes Wigglesworth wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > I have an issue with my mozilla install.  I am unable to figure out
> > how, or what people get flash7 to work with mozilla.  And I also
> > have trouble getting anything to work that I need, while
> > maintaining a working desktop.  Hence, if I want to install
> > mplayer, I have to upgrade everthing that also makes my desktop,
> > KDE 3.1.4, work with the initial install.  Also, the only reliable
> > desktop/production applications seem to be the few that come on the
> > iso install cd.  Anyone have any advice on this?

IIRC when you build the plugin-wrapper you get instructions for manually
updating  /etc/libmap.conf; maybe you missed that.

There is a common pitfall with FreeBSD that people install a full system
from packages on the CD, and then do a CVSup to the current ports tree.
The ports system then sees their software as out of date.

The best solution is to keep everthing up-to-date with the tree which
means upgrading kernel/world and all your ports. The problem there is
that KDE has gone through several  upgrades since 3.1.4 that will
prevent a straightforward portupgrade from working. Your easiest
solution here is to use portupgrade to prefetch packages from
fruitsalad (see freebsd.kde.org) and then do a complete KDE
deinstall-reinstall.

An alternative is to CVSup your ports tree back to the date on which the
packages were created for the release (or reinstall the ports tree from
the iso) so you are dealing with a self-consistent snapshot.