How to remove a patch from a port?

R. W. list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Tue Oct 19 08:25:47 PDT 2004

On Monday 18 October 2004 23:06, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> I'm wondering how to remove a custom patch for a port. I am sort of
> new at this, but I've managed to learn how to patch a port and
> upgrade it for testing. But I'm not at all sure how to remove that
> patch if need be. What I've been doing is removing a chunk of the
> ports tree with cd /usr/ports && rm -rf */*portname* and then
> cvsup'ping again, but this doesn't seem right or very efficient. I've
> read the man page for patch, but the only thing I can come up with is
> the reverse option, which I must admit I don't totally understand.
> Can anyone explain this in a way that makes sense?

My understanding is that if a file has every been under cvs at a
matching location in the tree, then CVSup will resync it (or delete it
if it has been removed from the cvs tree). Any additional files will
simply be ignored. All you need do is delete any files you have added
and leave CVSup to do it's work.

On the hand if all you have done is manually patch a file under the work
directory, then a make clean should suffice - portupgrade will do that
automatically when it builds something.