OT: Upgrade feasibility, to AMD64/5.x.x or to stay i386/4.9 on AMD64 hardware?

Eirik Oeverby ltning at anduin.net
Tue Oct 19 01:17:18 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 00:57 -0600, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2004, at 2:07 PM, Eirik Øverby wrote:
>
> >> Adaptec AAC-2410SA 4-Port S-ATA RAID Controller
> >
> > This one is gonna be tricky on you, I think.
>
> Should work fine.  I was using a 2200S, which uses the same aac driver
> under 5-CURRENT on amd64 a while back before I downgraded to i386
> version.

Sorry, my mistake.
That doesn't help my feeling that most Adaptec IDE RAID controllers are,
in my experience (YMMV, and please excuse my language), utter crap,
though. Highpoint, 3Ware, and even Promise are lightyears ahead when it
comes to stability, supportability and performance (mainly due to the
Adaptecs having a nasty tendency to spew interrupts like mad, making the
system (interrupt) load go berzerk during heavy disk I/O).

> And I have a 2410SA (same aac driver)  working on an i386 machine with
> 5.2.1 or something like that :-) now.   I know that that is not a 64bit
> machine but according to Scott Long sometime back, the aac driver is 64
> bit clean.
>
> Maybe the asr driver is not 64bit ok but the aac one seems to be fine

The asr is most definitely not ;)