OT: Upgrade feasibility, to AMD64/5.x.x or to stay i386/4.9 on AMD64 hardware?

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 18 17:03:07 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 12:01:21AM +0200, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> > Here's what we're proposing for the new hardware:
> >
> > AMD Athlon64 - 3200+ (Socket 754 - I know, but it's cheap)
> > MSI K8T-FSR (VIA Chipset)
> > 2048MB DDR400 Non-ECC RAM
>
> In my experience trying to put more than 1GB RAM in a socket-754 mainboard
> is asking for trouble. This type of board is incredibly picky about its
> memory, especially when using more than two DIMMs.

PC3200 by chance?  DDR400 is has very close tolerances.  I can easily
used 3x PC2700 DIMMs in my socket-754 boards (that have 3 DIMM slots).
The real message though, is to use DIMMs recommended by your
motherboard manufacturer vs. what ever random crap RAM is in sale on
pricewatch.com.  If you do that, you can have 2048MB of DDR400 memory in
an Athlon64 machine.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)