updating packages

Duane Winner dwinner-lists at att.net
Mon Oct 18 11:27:13 PDT 2004

Hello,

Is there a simple way to upgrade packages on machines with packages
built on other machines?

Example:

I have eight machines that have jdk-1.4.2p6_4.
On one of the machines I have done a portupgrade jdk, and now have
jdk-1.4.2p6_5.
I then did a "pkg_create -b jdk-1.4.2p6_5" and have a jdk-1.4.2p6_5.tgz.
I copied jdk-1.4.2p6_5.tgz to the other seven machines.

Now how can I upgrade jdk on the others?

I have noticed for at least a few months now that "pkg_update" is no
longer with us, and found a message somewhere that it has been removed
do to problems/non-maintainence, and that most people are using
portupgrade these days.

Is there a way I can upgrade the packages on other machines without
having to a pkg_delete first, then a pkg_add?

Thanks for any info,
Duane Winner