How to start netatalk?

Choy Kho Yee khoyee at tf7.so-net.ne.jp
Mon Oct 18 05:52:36 PDT 2004

On 2004/10/18, at 20:33, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 07:37:30PM +0900, Choy Kho Yee wrote:
>> Hi, I want to share files between FreeBSD 5.3 and Mac OS X.
>> I have compiled my kernel with the NETATALK option, and installed
>> netatalk 2.0 from the port. What should I do now?
>
> Forget all about netatalk -- that's a hold over from the old MacOS 9
> days.  MacOS X does both NFS and Samba out of the box.  Either of
> which would be a better choice.  NFS is native to both platforms and
> probably the quickest to set up, but you'll have to synchronise UID
> and GID numbers between server and client for the user accounts that
> use it.  Samba requires your installing some 3rd party software on the
> FreeBSD side, and working out how you're going to authenticate one to
> the other.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Thanks for your advice. I have tried NFS but I am learning about
IPFW on the FreeBSD box, and I heard that it is hard to properly
configure IPFW to let through NFS packets, so I was thinking to
switch to netatalk. I haven't tried Samba, though.

Anyway, I just successfully setup netatalk to serve files to my
iBook G4(Yes it is Mac OS X :D). I think I will stay with netatalk
for a while.

Thanks again :)

---
Choy Kho Yee
url: http://dotkoyi.infoseek.ne.jp/
blog: http://dotkoyi.blogspot.com/

"There are only 10 types of people in the world,
i.e. those who understand binary numbers and
those who do not."