pam_ldap authentication based on pam_groupdn

Jason Lixfeld jason+lists.freebsd at lixfeld.ca
Sun Oct 17 22:07:37 PDT 2004

I'm wondering if someone can point out my error here.  I've got PAM
authenticating ssh users like so:

auth            required        pam_nologin.so                  no_warn
auth            sufficient      pam_opie.so                     no_warn
no_fake_prompts
auth            requisite       pam_opieaccess.so               no_warn
allow_local
auth            sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so
config=/usr/local/etc/openldap/ldap-ssh.conf debug      try_first_pass
auth            required        pam_unix.so                     no_warn
try_first_pass
account         required        pam_login_access.so
account         sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so      debug
account         required        pam_unix.so
session         required        pam_permit.so
password        sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so      debug
password        required        pam_unix.so                     no_warn
try_first_pass

bash-2.05b# cat /usr/local/etc/openldap/ldap-ssh.conf
host 127.0.0.1
base dc=example,dc=com
rootbinddn cn=proxyuser,dc=example,dc=com
scope one
#pam_filter objectclass=posixaccount
#pam_login_attribute uid
pam_groupdn cn=ssh,ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com
pam_member_attribute memberuid
pam_password SSHA
nss_base_passwd         ou=users,dc=example,dc=com?one
nss_base_shadow         ou=users,dc=example,dc=com?one
nss_base_group          ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com?one

So I'm trying to permit users who are only members of the group "ssh".
As per this ldap entry below, this user should be the only one
permitted to ssh in:

dn: cn=ssh,ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: posixGroup
objectClass: top
cn: ssh
gidNumber: 10009
memberUid: testuser.discord.ca

This isn't working.  This user, and any other user can ssh in, even
without being a member of the ssh group.  The check doesn't seem to be
working and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I have an nss_ldap.conf which pam queries also, but will a config
explicitly configured as I have done above override the the
nss_ldap.conf?

Any ideas?