4.10 startup sequencing

Gary Aitken garya at dreamchaser.org
Sun Oct 17 09:30:57 PDT 2004

Hello all,

Since 4.10 doesn't use /etc/rc.d to merge standard and local startup
sequencing, I'm wondering what the right way is to get a daemon to
start up before one of the standard daemons.  Specifically, I would
like to start a milter before sendmail.  I know it will work if
started afterwards, or at least it seems to, but I would like to get
rid of the WARNING message posted to the console at startup because
the socket isn't present when sendmail starts.

I don't see a way to do this short of modifying /etc/rc.
Is there a better way, or should I just live with the warning until
upgrading to 5.x, where /etc/rc.d and /usr/local/etc/rc.d sequencing
hints are merged?

Gary