Development Resources

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sat Oct 16 17:03:41 PDT 2004

On 2004-10-16 14:25, Spiral Eyed Girl <spiraleyedgirl at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After looking at the FreeBSD website and looking at docs all over the
> place, I havent found what I'm looking for, so I decided to mail this list.
>
> I am a software developer for Windows, and moving to FreeBSD has been very
> nice, especially since the tools to make software are completly free! My
> question is: Where can I find information on programming for FreeBSD?
> Things like how it differs from Windows, what it can and can't do, how to
> develop for X/KDE. I am good with C and C++, and know my way around
> gcc/make, but I don't know about system and 'net API calls that are
> specific to FreeBSD, and *NIX in general.

Look at the bibliography section of the FreeBSD Handbook for interesting
books.  Out of the top of my head, you should try to get yourself a copy
of at least the following:

a.	``The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System'',
	by Marshall Kirk McKusick.

b.	``The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System'',
	by Marshall Kirk McKusick.

c.	``UNIX Network Programming'' by Richard W. Stevens.

d.	``TCP/IP Illustrated'' by Richard W. Stevens, Volumes I & II.

These might amount to a large sum of money, so you might want to explore
the manpages and online docs at www.FreeBSD.org/docs.html first &
experiment a bit with an installed FreeBSD system to see if you can find
something interesting.

Finally, a great source of knowledge about the way FreeBSD works is the
source itself.  I still can't believe all the stuff I've learned by
reading parts of the source tree during the past 4-5 years, and I have
*so* *much* more to learn...

- Giorgos