Development Resources

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 15:16:35 PDT 2004

it was said:

>I am a software developer for Windows, and moving to FreeBSD has been
>very
>nice, especially since the tools to make software are completly free!
>My
>question is: Where can I find information on programming for FreeBSD?
>Things
>like how it differs from Windows, what it can and can't do, how to
>develop
>for X/KDE. I am good with C and C++, and know my way around gcc/make,
but >I
>don't know about system and 'net API calls that are specific to
FreeBSD, >and
>*NIX in general.

Hello,

Welcome to FreeBSD! Probably you'll want to read _The Design and
Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System_ by McKusick, et al.
ISBN 0-201-70245-2. It came out two months ago. Another good book is
_Porting Unix Software_ by Lehey ISBN 1-56592-126-7. It's from 1995 and
out of print, but you can get it used from amazon.com for US$2.00 and
well worth the read.
For additional references, you may want to ask on the hackers@ list.

HTH,

Stheg