ISDN and userland PPP

Hiram Abiff domain.admin at online.ie
Sat Oct 16 08:41:53 PDT 2004

Greeting and salutations,

     my everyday idyll has recently been interrupted while I
was trying to set up my FreeBSD box as a gateway.
It has an ISDN card for connecting to the Internet and
an ethernet card for connection to the rest of my network.

First, I had to recompile the kernel to enable support for my
ISDN card(W9662 chip) as iwic0.
Then came the tweaking of several configuration files. Finally,
I tried establishing the connection as follows:

wier# ppp
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON wier> dial papchap
ppp ON wier>

after the "dial papchap" command I just get hte ppp prompt back.
Shouldn't it be informing me about the status of the dialing?
the command "ifconfig tun0" says:

tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        Opened by PID 54

What am I doing wrong, am I using the correct procedure to establish
a connection? I want to establish only one 64k link.

I am using FreeBSD Release 4.7. Here are my configuration files:

<<<  /etc/ppp/options  >>>

/dev/cuaa0 115200
crtscts
modem
passive
noipdefault
defaultroute

<<<  /etc/ppp/ppp.conf  >>>

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
 set device /dev/i4brbch0
 set speed sync
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
           \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set timeout 180                        # 3 minute idle timer (the default)
 enable dns                             # request DNS info (for resolv.conf)
 papchap:

 set phone ISP_NUMBER
 set authname MY_USERNAME
 set authkey MY_PASSWORD

 enable lqr
 set reconnect 3 5
 set redial 3 10
 set lqrperiod 45
 disable pred1 deflate mppe
 deny pred1 deflate mppe

 set dial
 set login
 set logout
 set hangup

 set ifaddr 0 0
 add default HISADDR

<<<  /etc/isdn/isdnd.rc   >>>

system

acctall         = on
acctfile        = /var/log/isdnd.acct
useacctfile     = yes
isdntime = on
monitor-allowed = off

entry
name                    = WBDU0
usrdevicename           = rbch
usrdeviceunit           = 0
isdncontroller          = 0
isdnchannel             = -1
local-phone-incoming    = MY_NUMBER
remote-phone-incoming   = *
local-phone-dialout     = MY_NUMBER
remote-phone-dialout    = ISP_NUMBER
remdial-handling        = first
dialin-reaction         = ignore
dialout-type            = normal
b1protocol              = hdlc
idletime-incoming       = 900
idletime-outgoing       = 900
unitlength              = 0
unitlengthsrc           = conf
dialretries             = 1
dialrandincr            = off
recoverytime            = 1
direction               = out

<<<  /etc/resolv.conf   >>>

nameserver MY_ISP'S_NAMESERVER
nameserver MY_ISP'S_NAMESERVER2

<<<  /etc/rc.conf    >>>

hostname="wier"
network interfaces="lo tun0"
ifconfig_tun0=
ifconfig_rl0="inet 10.10.10.1"
gateway_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/cuaa1"
moused_type="logitech"
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
sendmail_enable="NO"
router_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"
ppp_enable="YES"

I spent 7 hours trying to configure this box as a gateway with an
ISDN connection. Could someone provide me with some clue or hints
as to where I am erring.

--
"I get high on a buzz
Then a rush when I'm plugged in you