Diskless setup for 5.3 ?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 07:12:46 PDT 2004

Michael Collette wrote:
> After running through a stack of little pitfalls in trying to get a diskless
> client running from a 5-CURRENT server I'm down to the last nasty here.

Sorry, I have no answers to you question, but questions myself.

I am trying to have a diskless PC boot from a server, running
5.3-Beta7, but so far I have not been able to get it work.

I wonder if you would be willing to share your knowledge and experience
on how to get this work.

With a 4.X system, I already have been running a master PC (dual homed
lan setup), which serves a cluster of 7 diskless PCs on its private
network. So I quite understand how to set this up for 4.X.
Soon, I will have to upgrade this cluster to 5.X.

Meanwhile, for testing purpose, I have a separate PC (also dual homed
lan) running 5.X-Beta7, which serves a single diskless PC. This is
not yet working; the kernel seems to load well, but then nothing
further happens.

See also
  http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2004-October/040449.html
for a report and question on how far I've got with my setup.

Help is very much appreciated, because I sensed that help with diskless
setup is quite rare on the mailing list (not many people use it?).

Thanks so much in advance!

Rob.