OSS sound driver doesnt work

Spiral Eyed Girl spiraleyedgirl at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 15 04:57:05 PDT 2004

Hello.

I am using FreeBSD 5.2.1, with a SoundBlaster Audigy soundcard, and my
motherboard has a crappy Cirrus Logic onboard sound card.

When I type "kldload snd_driver" to autodetect my soundcard, it detects the
onboard soundcard and not my SoundBlaster Audigy (I can live with using the
onboard soundcard, I would just rather use the SB Audigy). Then I load KDE,
and I hear system sounds, and I can use programs like kaboodle and noatun
just fine. But when I fire up XMMS (or any sound program not designed
specifically for KDE), and tell it to use the OSS driver, I get an error:

** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Device
busy

In KDE, I am using the aRts sound driver, if that helps. And I hope I have
made sense, I am not good at requesting help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks