Compiling 4-RELEASE on 5-STABLE

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Oct 14 11:46:03 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 12:31:33PM +0530, Subhro wrote:

> >        What about my question about boot strapping? Does that ensure that
> > I could compile the world/kernel of 4.x on 5.3?
> >                John
> No it does not. To be precise as far as I know, there is no way you
> can compile a native 4.X binary of any kind (application, kernel,
> bootstrap, you name it) on a 5.X box.

It's not so hard, you just extract a 4.x system image into a directory
and chroot to it, and build from there.  With more work you could do
it without the chroot.

However, to answer the original question: binaries built by the 5.x
system toolchain cannot be run on 4.x.  The main barrier is that 5.x
binaries usually use syscalls that are not present in the 4.x kernel,
so you'll get signal 12 errors if you try and run them.

Kris