Disk geometry, 5.3b7 install

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 01:36:21 PDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 02:03:21 -0600, freebsd at dreamchaser.org

> The only problem is that the geometry was reported as bad by
> sysinstall, and implied I needed to change it.
> Yet the partition step appears to have changed it already, or is
> assuming it will be changed.
> I don't understand what the situation is:
>   sysinstall reported geometry as 155061/16/63 and said it was bad
>   then partitioning assumes it will be  9729/255/63

Ignore the warning and proceed with the install. The partitioning
utility had already guessed the correct values and will proceed it.
BTW may I have the part number of the drive? I would like to check the
hardware literature.

> Do I actually have to run pfdisk to change it from 155061/16/63 to
> 9729/255/63?

No you dont need to do it.

> One more question:
>
> The installation notes say the root partition must be below cylinder
> 1024.

<snip>

This one was valid for old BIOSses which blindly believed the fact
that all kinds of bootable partitions MUST start under cylinder 1024.
This does not hold true if the onboard BIOS is not older than 3 years.

> Thanks,

You are most welcome

Regards
S.