Shutdown And User Intervention

Rishi Chopra idfubar at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 21:39:26 PDT 2004

--- Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx at ua.ac.be> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 07:50:08AM -0700, Rishi
> Chopra wrote:
> > Is there a way to issue a shutdown command that
> > doesn't require me to press a key to reboot?
> >
> > Currently when I enter the command 'shutdown -p'
> the
> > system shuts down gracefully but I have to press a
> key
> > to reboot the system.
> >
> > Ultimately I'd like to be able to power-off the
> system
> > gracefully without requiring the user (me) to
> press a
> > key  afterwards.
>
> Add the following to your kernel configuration file,
> build and install a
> new kernel and try shutdown -p again:
>
> device          acpica
>
> It's not in de GENERIC kernel because 1) this
> feature is still
> experimental (however it seems to work fine), and 2)
> many users never
> shutdown -p their FreeBSD machines anyway. :-)
>
> GH
>
> --
> :wq

Thanks to Mick, Andreas, Geert and Dee for their
suggestions.

I tried adding the suggested line (I'm running 5.2.1)
but the response is:

config: Error: device "acpica" is unknown
config: 1  errors

Do I need to be running a special kernel to enable
acpica?  Is there any other way to enable ACPI?  Will
I have to start a daemon after compiling the kernel to
enable ACPI?

=====
Rishi Chopra
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rchopra