how do I suppress system messages?

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Oct 13 15:35:45 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-newbies at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-newbies at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Lynette Tillner
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 11:21 AM
To: freebsd-newbies at freebsd.org
Subject: how do I suppress system messages?

Kevin Glick wrote:

>Lynette,
>
>System messages print out to the console on tty0 only, by default.  If you
>want to use the console, switch to tty1 or above.  Do this by ALT+2(tty1),
>ALT+3(tty2), etc.
>When you're in Vi, and syslog prints across the screen, using CTRL+L will
>re-draw the screen, and remove the syslog messages.
>If you want to get rid of the messages altogether, look into disabling
>syslogd, via /etc/rc.conf.  (Man syslogd, or check /etc/defaults/rc.conf for
>syslogd.
>
>Kevin Glick
>ITS Manager
>Sterling Business Forms
>keving at sbfnet.com

Some good advice here, for sure, but does she really want to disable
syslogd, unless the only service she really cares about on this
box is http (and unless she'd disabled a lot of stuff, it probably
isn't...)??  IIRC, in /etc/syslog.conf, instruction is given on how
to redirect ttyv0 output to /var/log/console.log, which seems a
better option.  Disabling syslogd would ((probably)) stop logging
of some useful information (like auth.info) as well as the sendmail
output that's "driving her crazy". Disclaimer: I'm not an expert,
and don't [exactly] play one on questions@ ...

My $0.02,

Kevin Kinsey