[OT] Error sending mail from off-network... (details inside)

Ed Budd ebudd at grokking.org
Wed Oct 13 08:05:24 PDT 2004

Eric Crist wrote:
> On Oct 13, 2004, at 7:00 AM, Subhro wrote:
>
>> Are you authenticating yourself before attempting to send out mail to
>> the ISP SMTP. To prevent spammers, almost all ISPs allow the use of
>> their SMTPs only after you prove them that you are really a legitimate
>> customer. Also many ISPs wont allow you to use their mailservers
>> unless the IP which you are using (rather which had been assigned to
>> you) belongs to their own pool.
>>
>> Regards
>> S.
>

> I am trying to use my own SMTP server, not my ISPs.  Not only that, but
> I AM trying to authenticate.  As I said in my previous post, I can send
> when dialing in to the 'net, but not when connecting from the ghetto
> network I'm on here.  Only SMTP traffic seems to be stopping/timing
> out.  I can receive mail just fine.

I had this problem once at a hotel. Turned out the hotel was
transparently intercepting smtp traffic and funnelling it through their
own relays. T-Bird's CRAM-MD5 auth was failing because their relays
didn't support it. Try telnetting to what you think is your smtp server
and see if your own banner comes up or something else -- that's how I
discovered what was happening. It was a little unnerving until I figured
it out.

Out of spite I just tunnelled everything through ssh. How dare they f**k
with my mail!

EB