How to update perl on FreeBSD 4.9R (Resolved)

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Oct 13 07:49:22 PDT 2004

--On Tuesday, October 12, 2004 08:42:27 PM -0400 Danny
<nocmonkey at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did not know you could install Perl module's through the ports.
> Thank you, Christopher, Erik, Paul, Donald, and everyone else that
> replied.
>
> Bottom line: due to the fact that I did not know you could install
> Perl module's via the ports, I got involved in an area (Perl) which I
> am not at all familiar with. In my own defence, I have just searched
> the FreeBSD site, the Handbook (and the ports section), and there is
> no mention that you can install Perl modules from the ports, instead
> of going the CPAN route.

No need to defend yourself.  We all learn by asking questions.

> I am familiar with the ports, and think very highly of them, but I
> have never worked with an application which required an additional
> Perl module. But, now I know where to look.

You probably need to know that the CPAN modules are scattered throughout
the ports tree.  They're usually found in the area they affect (www,
editors, lang, etc.) depending upon what their function is.  To find one
you need, use find or locate and search for "p5" or "p5-{your modulename}"
(like p5-Mail or p5-Mail-Tools.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas