Updating Literature

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 05:15:58 PDT 2004

Update from 4.X to 5.X is not impossible. And the basic method does
not differ from the update of any 4.X to 4.Y system (X<Y) or 5.X to
5.Y system (X<Y). But you need to study /usr/src/UPDATING VERY VERY
HARD. Also the update is not recommended as the 5.X family uses a new
file system called UFS2. UFS2 is much better in terms of performance,
fault tolerance and security than UFS. However 5.X family IS backward
compatible with UFS. As far as I know there is no method to convert a
UFS file system to UFS2 or vice versa.

Regards
S.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 03:33:49 -0000 (GMT), Thomas Beer
<mailings at analogon.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I searched the FBSD site and the web for a compendium
> how to updat from 4.x to 5.x but was unsuccessful.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Thanks Tom

Subhro Sankha Kar
School of Information Technology