GNOME questions

Gary Dunn knowtree at aloha.com
Wed Oct 13 03:00:59 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 21:36, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	To the Gnome wizards out there,
>
> 	I've been experimenting with different window managers
> 	and need some tips on how making Gnome more comfortable
> 	feel.  Here are some miscellaneous questions:
>
> 	How do I create different sized xterms and/or gnome terms
> 	of different sizes in different workspaces?

gnome-terminal can save settings in classes, and a class can be
specified on the launch command line. If you want them to open when
Gnome starts, add them in the session startup control.

>       Is it possible
> 	to have an xload app of a given size (or other GUI apps)
> 	and have them appear on various workspaces, or *all*
> 	workspaces?  Finally, how can I set up the Fn keys to
> 	perform certain tasks, for example, have F2 minimize a
> 	window/xterm/app, and have F3 put the same application
> 	in front?

I think these are not so much Gnome attributes, they belong to the
underlying window manager. Sawfish, for example.

> 	Both Gnome and KDE are nice front ends, but a bit heavy
> 	on the graphical interface side for a CLI hacker like
> 	me.  Feedback welcome!

A GUI is to the OS what a CPU case is to a motherboard. I am a Gnome fan
because it has the potential to bring OSS OSes to the masses. I have
always been a Mac fan, and like a well-designed GUI on my workstation.
But when I work on my servers I just ssh in and type away. Go figure.

--

Gary Dunn
knowtree at aloha.com
Honolulu