Maple troubles with SMP

Geert Hendrickx geert.hendrickx at ua.ac.be
Tue Oct 12 09:50:50 PDT 2004

Hello,

I'm running FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE on a hyperthreaded i386 processor.  My
kernel has SMP enabled, and with sysctl machdep.hlt_logical_cpus=0, top
shows two logical cpu's up and running.  Works fine.

Now I have some weird experiences running Maple 9.5 (with Linux
emulation).  When sysctl machdep.hlt_logical_cpus is set to 0, Maple
won't start.  I get the splash screen, but it hangs forever (top shows a
java process eating all cpu time).  It takes a kill -9 to stop it.

When machdep.hlt_logical_cpus is set to 1 (single cpu), Maple starts
fine, I can enter commands and everything works ok (except the help
function, it crashes very often).  When I set the sysctl back to 0,
Maple gets very unstable when I enter further commands.  Sometimes it
hangs (without any cpu action like before), sometimes it crashes, very
unpredictable behaviour really.

Does anyone have any clue about what is happening?  And about who is to
blame, FreeBSD's SMP code, Maple, or maybe the Linux emulation code?

GH

--
:wq