File Server

Jonathan T. Sage sagejona at theatre.msu.edu
Tue Oct 12 09:02:28 PDT 2004

Scott Rothgaber wrote:
> Good Morning!
>
> Here at the shop, there is a mixture of W2K workstations and FreeBSD
> 4.10 servers. Is there a non-NetBIOS file server that runs on FreeBSD
> that will allow access to files from the windows clients?
>
> We're already using samba, but I don't allow any NetBIOS traffic through
> our firewall. I'd like to be able to work on files while I'm at home.

Scott - an option you may wanna consider is setting up a vpn.  Once set
up, the vpn can allow samba traffic to your home machines, allow you to
map drives in winALL, etc.  Quite a bit more secure than just allowing
samba through your public interface too...  Another option might be
SFTP, the free program 'WinSCP3' has a kinda nice interface, and of
course sftp is part of freebsd already.

hope this helps a bit ~j

--
Jonathan T. Sage
Theatrical Lighting / Set Designer

"He said he likes me, but he's not in-like with me."- Connie, King of
the Hill

[HTTP://www.JTSage.com]
[HTTP://design.JTSage.com]
[sagejona at msu.edu]