colourization in ls command

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Oct 12 03:48:05 PDT 2004

>On 12 okt 2004, at 12:01, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>>On 2004-10-12 11:36, FreeBSD questions mailing list
>><FreeBSD at amadeus.demon.nl> wrote:
>>>hello,
>>>why is the colouization lost in:
>>>ls -alhG | more
>>
>>Because you piped the output to more(1).
>
> hmm, of course...
> is there a way to preserve it and still have it display page after page?

I'm not sure.  I very rarely use colors myself and, as a result of this, have
not researched this at all.

I just happened to know that more(1) does this trick, because I regularly use
it on Gentoo Linux installations to strip off the colors from the output of
commands like emerge(1), which stupidly insist printing colorful output even
if I connect over SSH and set my TERM to vt220.