Avoid tar for Dell PowerVault 100T DAT 72 tape drive?

Tom Oak tom_oak at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 11 23:18:11 PDT 2004

Hello All,

The user's guide for the Dell PowerVault 100T DAT 72 tape drive
recommends
against using tar (see quoted text below). Does anyone have any
experience with
this product and can advise whether we should avoid tar? Thank you for
your
help.

Note: please note that my email address has changed from
"tom_oak at telstra.com"
to "tom_oak at fastmail.fm".

Tom

BEGIN QUOTE

Drivers for Microsoft® Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 Server for your
tape drive
are included on the CD that came with your drive. You will need tape
backup
software that supports the Dell PowerVault tape drive. Note that native
backup
applications (for example, the UNIX .tar command) generally do not
provide the
required data streaming rate to get the full performance out of your
tape drive.
Dell recommends using a backup application that provides improved memory
management as well as other useful features, such as TapeAlert. Suitable
products that have been tested with Dell PowerVault 100T DAT 72 tape
drives are
listed below.

Yosemite™  TapeWare® 7.0SP3B (or later) for Windows 2000, Windows 2003
Server,
Novell® NetWare® and Red Hat® Linux®  VERITAS® Backup Exec™ 9.1 (or
later) for
Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 Server, Backup Exec™ 9.1 (or later) for
Novell®
NetWare®

END QUOTE
--