(OT) Emacs vs Xemacs

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Mon Oct 11 20:35:07 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 05:26:54PM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> writes:
:
: > I know this is not BSD specific, but I just wanted to get your opinions.  I
: > was wondering what might affect my decision which to use, other than
: > licensing and (IIRC) the fancier font handling of Xemacs.
:
: Both are licensed under the GPL, and the font handling is not
: significantly different these days.  The "eXtended" features
: that give Xemacs its name are only of interest to people who
: program emacs heavily in LISP.
:
: In other words, it's unlikely to matter to you.  Try them both
: and pick whichever you like.

No big difference in performance (the LISP engine) or memory usage?  I'm
running on an older, smaller laptop.  Xemacs has been fine, but since I am
starting over, I thought I'd check out my options.

jm