portupgrade (pkgdb) question (2nd try)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Oct 11 12:39:11 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 02:52:57PM -0400, Bobb Shires wrote:
> (dang webmail thing mangled my message. Sorry. Trying again)
>
> pkgdb -F is asking me a question I don't understand.
> What should I do here?
>
> === root at voyager /root/supfiles 24 -> # pkgdb -F
> --->  Checking the package registry database
> Stale origin: 'devel/autoconf257': perhaps moved or obsoleted.
> -> The port 'devel/autoconf257' was removed on 2004-07-01 because:
>         "autotools cleanup"
> -> Hint:  autoconf-2.57_1 is required by the following package(s):
>         kdevelop-3.0.3
>         kde-3.2.2
>         automake-1.7.5_1
> -> Hint: checking for overwritten files...
>  -> No files installed by autoconf-2.57_1 have been overwritten by other
>  packages.
> Deinstall autoconf-2.57_1 ? [no]
>

> This is a fresh installation of 4.10-REL immediately
> following a cvsup. Thanks.

Did you cvsup the latest ports?  Or is this the ports tree as supplied
on the 4.10-RELEASE installation media?  I guess the former, because
the latter should at least be self consistent.

You need to either build or download a recent /usr/ports/INDEX to go
with that -- the INDEX file committed to the ports tree is not updated
very often nowadays.  To build an index:

    # cd /usr/ports
    # make index

and then wait for 15-20 minutes.  Otherwise you can download a
recently built index file by:

    # make fetchindex

Then rerun pkgdb(1) --- tell it not to deinstall autoconf this time
round.  Then do portupgrade as usual.  Once you've updated your system
all of the pkgs that now depend on it should have been replaced by
updated versions depending on a different version of autoconf.
Although updating that kde package will take quite a bit of compiling.
You can then deinstall autoconf-2.57_1 safely.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way