host-based ssh authentication (no password) not working ... help needed

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 12:37:03 PDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 12:20:44PM -0700, Joe Schmoe wrote:
> I have machines CLIENT and SERVER.
>
> On SERVER, I set the following options in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config :
>
> RhostsAuthentication      no
> RhostsRSAAuthentication   yes
>
> Then I copied the host public key from /etc/ssh on
> CLIENT to /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts on SERVER - so now
> the SERVER has the CLIENTs public key.
>
> Finally, I added the hostname of CLIENT to
> /etc/hosts.equiv on SERVER.  Then I HUPped sshd on
> SERVER.
>
> So now I go to CLIENT and run:
>
> ssh username at SERVER
>
> and it asks me for a password!!
>
> I even tried:
>
> ssh -1 username at SERVER
>
> and that didn't work either.  I thought maybe RSA was
> ssh1 only, so I needed to force ssh1 ... but as I
> said, that didn't work either.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. What am I doing wrong ?

For ssh(1) to work using key based auth, all of the files in
~user/.ssh on the server must have the correct permissions, and the
host public keys for the server should be known to the client machine,
and vice versa.

A good way to diagnose the problem is to run:

    # sshd -d -d -d -p 2222

on the server (ie. turn on maximum debugging output, and run on a
different port than usual).

Then from the client, run:

    % ssh -v -v -v -p 2222 server

The verbose output from sshd will usually tell you exactly what's wrong.

> 2. Am I right that using RSA host authentication like
> this will only work with ssh1 ?  If so, how can I use
> ssh2 with host based key sharing ?

No.  Incorrect.  SSH2 uses two possible key types: rsa or dsa.  Use
either -- it makes little practical difference in most situations.
SSH1 uses an older form of RSA, now called rsa1.  You shouldn't use
SSH1 unless you have no other choice -- ie. a system that only
supports SSH1 -- because it is significantly less secure than SSH2.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way