host-based ssh authentication (no password) not working ... help needed

Joe Schmoe non_secure at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 12:20:45 PDT 2004

I have machines CLIENT and SERVER.

On SERVER, I set the following options in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config :

RhostsAuthentication      no
RhostsRSAAuthentication   yes

Then I copied the host public key from /etc/ssh on
CLIENT to /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts on SERVER - so now
the SERVER has the CLIENTs public key.

Finally, I added the hostname of CLIENT to
/etc/hosts.equiv on SERVER.  Then I HUPped sshd on
SERVER.

So now I go to CLIENT and run:

ssh username at SERVER

and it asks me for a password!!

I even tried:

ssh -1 username at SERVER

and that didn't work either.  I thought maybe RSA was
ssh1 only, so I needed to force ssh1 ... but as I
said, that didn't work either.

Two questions:

1. What am I doing wrong ?

2. Am I right that using RSA host authentication like
this will only work with ssh1 ?  If so, how can I use
ssh2 with host based key sharing ?

thanks.