Age of Empires on FreeBSD --- Possible?

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sat Oct 9 23:17:00 PDT 2004

On Friday 08 October 2004 02:20 pm, "Hugo Silva" <klr at 6s-gaming.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I really need to get Age of Empires II - The Conquerors Expansion working
> on my (only workstation) FreeBSD box.
>
> I don't have windows anymore and I'll not switch back to be able to play,
> but I'd like to know if it is possible at all to run the game on BSD.
> Perhaps winex ? I heard it is compiling OK now with several patches..

Well, this probably isn't the answer you wanted to hear, but personally I
still keep a Windows partition for this explicit reason (games and sound
production). There are some games which run fine on some sort of emulator,
but I'd rather not have to deal with a whole bunch of extra stuff to do
something I can achieve more easily and with better results by using the
intended OS. I don't like Windows, but some of the best games will only run
on it. It's sort of a pain to reboot just to play Medieval: Total War, for
instance, but once the game is over I can reboot into fbsd and have my
workstation back, which I sort of like better than having a one-size-fits-all
setup. In fact, I'll probably end up building a separate box with a Win
installation just for gaming and sound, so I can concentrate on the hardware
that will work best for a workstation and some servers using FreeBSD.

- jt