How to update perl on FreeBSD 4.9R

Danny nocmonkey at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 13:42:00 PDT 2004

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:34:36 +0100, David Jenkins
<david.jenkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Danny,
>
> As Paul previously commented, you need to run "use.perl port". This
> will update /etc/make.conf to tell your system to use the ports
> version of Perl in future.

mx1# use.perl port Makefile.PL
Usage:
  /usr/local/bin/use.perl port       -> /usr/bin/perl is the perl5 port
  /usr/local/bin/use.perl system     -> /usr/bin/perl is the system perl
mx1#

"port" as in the name of the port you are using? I have never really
worked with perl before.

I am following the instructions here:
http://www.cpan.org/modules/INSTALL.html

Specifically at this step:

perl Makefile.PL

in my case, I would do use.perl port Makefile.pl? Or use.perl Makefile.pl?

Either way, I have tried both, and I get:

mx1# /usr/local/bin/use.perl Makefile.PL
Usage:
  /usr/local/bin/use.perl port       -> /usr/bin/perl is the perl5 port
  /usr/local/bin/use.perl system     -> /usr/bin/perl is the system perl
mx1#

...D