What version of FBSD does Yahoo run?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Oct 8 09:05:08 PDT 2004

On Oct 8, 2004, at 11:54 AM, TM4525 at aol.com wrote:

> You guys are the ones making the claims that 5.3 is "going to be
> so great".  I just wonder how you come to that conclusion if you don't
> have any definitive tests. I dont have a release to test, so when its
> done
> I'll test it.

I think it sums it up nicely then...

TM is saying he doesn't like people claiming it's going to be great
when there's no release yet.  Kris posted benchmarks showing things
have improved and he has reason to believe it will be better.  TM
replies not with his own benchmarks, but basically saying he refuses to
test anything until it's released and that no one should claim it's
better until it's marked as a "release" version.

So conclude by saying that there is reason to believe the next version
will be better, "Here's why", and that you can have the drawn out fight
over performance benchmarks up the wazoo after the release is
actually...well...released.  TM won't be happy until it reaches this
status anyway so there's no use in arguing it if only benchmarking
"release" versions is one of the requirements for the argument to come
to a conclusion.

:-)

-Bart