How to NOT load AGP?

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Thu Oct 7 17:44:14 PDT 2004

Background:

My computer likes to lock up sometimes in XFree86. This last time it was
while doing an rsync between an internal drive and an external USB drive.
But other times it's been random. Regardless, forced to do a reset, it then
won't start XFree86. Sometimes unloading, rebuilding, and reinstalling the
nvidia driver helps, sometimes not. Sometimes it takes several tries. When
it hangs, it might hang on the nvidia splash screen, a white screen, or
(like right now) still in terminal mode after startx before it even switches
to graphical.

This time I can't get it to go back into XFree86 no matter how many times I
rebuild the nvidia driver, so I'm looking elsewhere. I even tried
portupgrade -f XFree86* but no go.

All along I've been using the FreeBSD AGP. I'm thinking maybe I need to try
nvidia's (some people swear one way, some the other... if only there was
consensus!).

So I try rebuilding my kernel w/o "device agp". Except the kernel build
bombs at a weird point. Unable to find any reference to other people failing
there, I suspect a corrupt /usr/src (perhaps due to one of my many lockups).
So I rm -R and re-cvsup it. Then the build works. I also made sure that
agp_load="YES" was commented out of my /boot/loader.conf file. Well, upon
rebooting I still see agp loading, confirmed w/ kldstat. So I try
uncommenting the line but changing it to "NO". Reboot, same thing. I do some
more research, and try adding hint.agp.0.disabled="1" to my
/boot/device.hints file. Reboot, but AGP is still loading. Argh. I can't
even use kldunload to remove it.

Ok, I appeal for help now. What's the proper way to keep AGP from loading so
that I can test my nvidia driver using the nvidia AGP and see if that's even
the sources of my XFree86 lockup problems? I need my desktop back. I'm on
FreeBSD 5.2.1. Thanks!