nmap'ing myself

Norm Vilmer norm at etherealconsulting.com
Thu Oct 7 12:16:09 PDT 2004

If there a better forum for discussing IPFW, please direct me
there.

I have a firewall machine running FreeBSD 4.10 connected
between my DSL modem and my office switch. It does nat and
has a basic set of IPFW rules. It is somewhat locked down
(kern_securelevel = 1, other recommendations typical
for this configuration).

My question is: from a "well" configured firewall, "Should" I be able to
nmap the public interface using a console session on the firewall
itself? Will allowing this compromising security of the machine?
Basically, should I even attempt to make this work?

What's a good way to test your own firewall without driving down
the road (and hacking into an unsecured linksys wireless router....
just kidding)?

Additional info:

I am still reading "Network Security Hacks" by Andrew Lockhart;
not sure if this is covered.....

nmap -v -O -sS my.firewall.com
sendto in send_ip_raw: sendto(4, packet, 28, 0, n.n.n.n, 16) =>
Permission denied.

I can nmap to other machine inside and outside my firewall. Machines
inside my firewall can nmap machines inside(duh) and outside the
firewall. Although doing an nmap from a machine inside my firewall to a
machine outside causes the net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_count to grow rather large
so I avoid doing this. Same thing if I try to nmap my firewall from
a machine inside the firewall. Tried opening up the firewall, still
does not work (slightly different error though).