networking problem? maybe

Bigelow, Andrea L. BigelowA at SEC.GOV
Thu Oct 7 05:51:40 PDT 2004

 If you have more than one computer available, try linking up a switch to
your second Ethernet card and running a test between two machines that
should not touch the gateway. What's your internal LAN speed when the
gateway is not involved? That will tell you whether it's the gateway you
need to look at.

To explain better:

			ADSL

			   | (a)
			FreeBSD GW
			  | (b)

			Switch
			/      \
		   Machine 1   Machine 2

Have Machine 1 talk to Machine 2. What's your speed? If it's significantly
faster, then it's time to look at the gateway. If not, look at the switch.

If it's the gateway, try reconfiguring your gateway so that the (b) ethernet
card talks to the ADSL line and the (a) card talks to your LAN. Any change
in speed? If so, it's probably the card or the config associated with it. If
not, it's probably your routing configuration.

Hope this gives you something to start from!