Booting to CD and the handing off to HD

Cristobal Miguelo cristobalmiguelo2 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 23:47:18 PDT 2004

Thanks to everyone who is providing input on this question.  I
appreciate it greatly!  :)

The boot loader idea sounds like it'll have to be what I use.  I'll get
the CD to write a token to the drive if it checks out, and upon next
boot-up, if I can get the CD's boot loader to find the token on the HD,
it'll boot the HD instead.  Any ideas on how to arrange that one?

If I can't get the boot loader to do that, I'll have to resort to
making the partition bootable/unbootable to make the selection;
although I'd prefer the token.

I do agree that one of the best ways to secure the box is to use the
secure levels and mount things read-only.  I will be doing that, but my
goal here is to remove every remote possibility of my machine's
compromise lasting beyond a day.  I like to go for absolute certainty
on security.  :)

Thx